Wednesday 28 September 2011

A&P

Well the last few weeks have been a merry go round. Find shoes, get scrubs (marble green! no other colour!), go find a stethescope (LPN roomie turned around and took the $ 20 one away and told me to get a 'decent' one so I did), going out for an hour drive to campus (luckily i only have to be in for one class and for clinical this semester, the rest is online). And then there were the clinical prereq's. 4 hours to find a CPR - HCP course, and the instructor..lets just say I know here and she doesn't impress me much. Then there was the crim check that I ended up stressing about...it came in time thankfully. And the shots..oh my the shots.

It turns out that Cait, growing up in several countries missed several. So, hello MMR (I was only missing mumps!), Hep B, Diptheria, Tetanus, Polio, and god knows what else. I had a BCG in my travels so the mantoux test reacted and now a week later I have a welt still! It'll be referred to a TB doctor but i've reacted to every mantoux since the BCG so I wasn't suprised but they still insisted on doing it. Even after I went to my GP and got a chest x-ray beforehand as I knew it would react. Its clear, I'm clean.

But they'll probably still try and get me to take 9 months of drugs. I'm not. I dont' see the point.

But yeah, eventually got all that sorted. I'm starting to settle into a routine. And the jabs seem to have stopped knocking my immune system down as today I actually had a little energy.

I had a library orientation today...I did an MSc during 2005-2006, granted not in nursing, but I did it, and I k now how libraries work. There was a competition for printing dollars and I'm pretty certain me and mate won the first and second prizes. Piece of cake ;-)


I'm doing A&P with Athabasca (open university canadian style) and its six credit hours. It doesn't correspond to the 8 credit hours they want me to take here so I get to work through the entire book this semester, and next semester still take bio 161 which is the second half of the book.

Sadly, I have perfectionist tendencies. I want to know it all! I tried yesteday and i can recite pretty much every bone in the body bar the tarsels, metatarsels, carpals, metacarpals, and a few of the skull bones. .....and its an open book midterm i should be doing this week. And I want to know them all dammit!

N and M, my roomie and my best friend, keep calling me a nut as its open book.

Today I go through my 8 chapters, review the heck out of them and annotate with post it notes. ...

and try and let go of my perfectionist tendencies. Which include procrastination and blogging, as hey, if i can't do it perfect I'd just as soon  not do it. Which won't help in this case.

2 comments:

  1. Since you have reacted to the TB test in the past there is no need to repeat it EVER! I repeat do not get one again! You just tell them that you have tested positive and from now on you just get the Xray and that's that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Azmomo2...I won't. the problem was that the college paper was written ambigiously so the requirement could have been for mantoux+xray, or just xray if mantough showed up positively before. I assumed just xray but public health office wanted to do mantoux first. Maybe now they'll trust me when I say I react?

    ReplyDelete